- For the Salad
- 1 package ramen noodles, crushed, flavor packet discarded
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1 head cos lettuce, washed and dried
- One 5-ounce bag baby spinach
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- For the Dressing
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C. In a small bowl, mix the ramen noodles, almonds, sunflower seeds and melted butter. Transfer to a baking sheet and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
2. Tear the lettuce and combine with the spinach, strawberries and cheese in a large salad bowl.
3. For the dressing, dissolve the sugar in the vinegar. Combine the oil, paprika, salt and garlic and then add to the sugar-vinegar mixture. Mix well and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
4. Just before serving, sprinkle the crunchy topping over the salad green and toss the salad with enough dressing to coat the greens.
Recipe adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010