Vietnamese Chicken Tacos
- For the taco mix
- 180ml coconut milk
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 250g cooked and cooled jasmine rice, pounded roughly
- 1 heaped tbsp palm sugar
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the filling
- 2 chicken breasts, skin on
- 220ml coconut milk
- 250ml chicken stock
- 1 lemongrass stalk, crushed
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- For the omelette
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 200g fresh noodles
- A handful garlic chives chopped
- A handful bean sprouts
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- A handful of rau rum, optional
- A handful of saw tooth coriander, optional
- A large handful of perilla
- A large handful of sweet basil
- 25g roasted peanuts, finely chopped (reserve a few for garnishing)
For the Tacos:
1. Mix all the ingredients together so you have a batter.
2. Take a large frying pan. Cover the pan with a little vegetable oil.
3. Separate the egg yolk and beat into the batter.
4. Whisk the egg white into a soft peak and fold this into the batter.
5. Fry in the frying pan in batches to make pancakes.
6. Take out and mould over a rolling pin to form a taco. Leave to cool and set.
For the Omelette:
7. Meanwhile make the omelette by mixing the beaten egg and water together, heat a small frying pan with a little oil add the egg mix and fry until cooked lightly.
8. Tip onto a plate, gently roll up and slice into strips.
For the Filling:
1. Into a medium saucepan, add the chicken breasts and the rest of the coconut milk. Top up with the chicken stock, lemongrass. Poach the chicken for around 12-15 minutes.
2. Remove once cooked and leave to cool.
3. Take a large frying pan and sauté the noodles until soft but with a crispy outside.
4. Remove the skin from the chicken and shred the cooked meat.
5. Mix the shredded chicken omelette gently with bean sprouts, garlic chives, chilli flakes, rau rum, saw tooth coriander, perilla,and sweet basil.
6. Place the mixture into the Taco and top with the crispy noodles. sprinkle with chopped peanuts and herbs.