Cathy Ballou's grandmother's oyster dressing
- Neck from a 5 1/2-kg turkey
- Water to cover
- Celery leaves
- Carrot top
- 1 small onion, cut into quarters
- 100g stale white bread
- 100g stale unsweetened cornbread
- 30g butter
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tbsp dried or 2 tbsp. fresh sage leaves
- 225g oysters, shucked, shells removed
2) In a large saute; pan melt butter with vegetable oil. Add onions, celery and sage and cook over medium heat until onions begin to brown. Add onion mixture and enough of the giblet broth to moisten bread, toss, and set aside.
3) About 1 hour before the turkey is done, using a turkey baster or a large spoon remove all but 120ml of fat from pan. Toss the oysters with the bread stuffing and add it in an even layer to the roasting tin with the turkey, stirring to coat the bread. Return the turkey to the oven and continue roasting for the final hour. Serve as a side dish.