Oysters casino with red peppers, chilli and streaky bacon
Recipe by:Tyler Florence
- 4 strips streaky bacon
- 110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 25g roughly chopped shallots
- 45g roughly chopped red pepper
- 25g roughly chopped celery
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves picked
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 2 tsp lemon zest and juice
- 1/4 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dozen large (approximately 10cm) West Coast oysters on the half shell
- 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped for garnish
1) Preheat oven to 220C/Gas 7.
2) Lay streaky bacon out on a roasting pan in a single layer and bake for 10 minutes until just crispy - remember they will be going back into the oven with the oysters so you don't want to finish the bacon just yet. While the bacon is cooking, place the butter, garlic, shallots, red pepper, celery, lemon zest and juice, oregano, thyme, and chilli flakes in a food processor; pulse until well combined, but still has texture. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3) Remove bacon from oven and cut up into pieces. Lay oysters in their half shells out on a large roasting pan in a single layer (you can use rock salt or a sheet of crumpled foil to steady them). Place 1 tablespoon of the casino butter mixture on top of each oyster and place a piece of bacon on each. Bake oysters in the hot oven until bubbly, approximately 10 to 12 minutes. Finish with finely chopped, fresh flat-leaf parsley and serve.