Creamy Potato and Roasted Red Pepper Dip
- 2 potatoes (about 1 pound), scrubbed
- 6 medium cloves garlic cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup whole blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 whole jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar white wine vinegar
- Baked pita chips and/or warm fresh pita bread wedges, for serving
Serves: about 4 cups
Special equipment: a food mill or ricer
Put the potatoes and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are very tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Once the water is at a simmer, add the garlic cloves to the water and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the garlic from the water. Cool the garlic slightly and then coarsely chop it.
Add the garlic to a food processor along with the almonds and 1/2 cup of oil. Process until the mixture becomes a thick paste. Transfer the paste to a large bowl and reserve.
Rinse out the food processor and add the roasted red peppers, parsley, pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons of the oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Process until the mixture is a mostly smooth with some small chunks. Reserve.
When the potatoes are tender, drain them well then cool slightly. Use a clean dishtowel to rub off the skins. Discard the skins and coarsely chop the potatoes. Run the potatoes through a food mill or ricer and add them to the bowl with the reserved almond mixture. Add 2 teaspoons salt and gently stir the potatoes and almond mixture together until just combined. Stir in the lemon juice, vinegar and 1/2 cup water. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if needed.
Spoon the potato mixture into a shallow baking dish and make a large well in the middle. Fill it with the reserved red pepper sauce and lightly drizzle everything with olive oil. Serve warm or at room temperature with pita chips and/or warm pita bread wedges.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.
From Food Network Kitchen