Open-Face Grilled Steak Sandwich
A delicious open-faced sandwich with plenty of room for extra beef and toppings.
- 250ml olive oil
- 60ml white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves fresh garlic
- 60ml chopped fresh coriander
- 30ml chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium Spanish onion peeled and sliced into 1cm rings
- 2 sweet peppers (red, yellow, or orange) cut in half, stem and seeds removed
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced into 1cm pieces
- 2 New York strip steaks (12oz each)
- 30ml Napoleon® Classic Steak Spice
- 250ml Napoleon® Fire Roasted Garlic Sauce
- 1 fresh baguette, cut in half through the centre and then cut in half lengthways to give you four pieces
In a small food processor or with a hand-blender, blend ½ cup olive oil, white wine vinegar, garlic, cilantro and parsley until smooth, adding remainder of olive oil in a steady stream until incorporated. Season with salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Pour oil into a sealable container, cover and set aside until needed.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Lightly drizzle peppers, onions and fennel with herbed olive oil mixture. Grill vegetables until lightly charred and tender. Remove from grill, allow to cool slightly and slice into thin strips. Toss vegetables together in a bowl with 2 tbsp of the olive oil mixture and season with salt and coarsely ground black pepper to taste. Cover and set aside, keeping warm until needed.
Season steaks with Napoleon® Classic Steak Spice, pressing the seasoning into the meat to adhere.
Place steaks onto preheated grill. Grill for 3-4 minutes per side for medium-rare, basting with Napoleon® Fire Roasted Garlic Sauce during the final 2-3 minutes of cooking time.
Remove steaks from grill and allow to rest for 1-2 minutes.
Lightly brush cut sides of baguette with herb oil mixture. Place baguette onto grill until lightly toasted and warm.
Thinly slice steak across the grain.
To assemble sandwich, arrange slices of steak onto a piece of grill toasted baguette. Top with a drizzle of Napoleon® Fire Roasted Garlic Sauce and grilled vegetable mixture. Serve immediately.
Copyright Napoleon’s Everyday Gourmet Plank Grilling by Ted Reader (Key Porter Books Ltd 2009) ISBN 978-1-55470-150-6 £34.99 Hardback. 124 recipes each fully illustrated.