Red Pepper Crème Caramel
- For Red Pepper Base:
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 whole eggs
- 250ml whole milk
- 500ml double cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 red peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt and pepper
Serves: 4 to 6 flansFor the Red Pepper Base:
1) Sweat garlic, shallots, peppers and jalapeno. Generously season with salt and pepper. Cook completely, until everything is very tender, with no colour.
2) Puree in a blender until very smooth. Check seasoning. Line a sieve with double layer of cheesecloth. Slowly pour the pepper puree into the sieve and hold in a bowl for the excess liquid to drain into. Allow puree to drain overnight in the refrigerator.
For the flan: 3) Preheat the oven to 150C/Gas 2.
4) Combine the cream, milk, eggs, egg yolks and 240ml of the red pepper puree. Whisk everything together and add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour into 115g ramekins (or any size smaller if desired). Set ramekins in a 10cm deep baking pan and fill the pan with water 1/3 to 1/2 way up the ramekins. Cover with foil. Bake for about 45 minutes. Timing varies greatly depending on oven. To check for doneness, poke the centers of the flans with a small, clean knife. The knife should be relatively clean (not necessarily completely clean) without any liquid on the knife.