- For quesadillas:
- 12 (13cm) corn tortillas
- 225g Cheddar, Monterey Jack or Colby cheese, thinly sliced
- 55g unsalted butter
- For the topping and salsa
- 450g vine-ripened tomatoes (about 2 tomatoes)
- 1/4 small red onion
- 2 to 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Hot sauce such as chipotle or Mexican green chilli sauce to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 avocado, halved, seeded, and sliced
2) Melt 15g butter in a small pan. Carefully place a quesadilla in the pan and fry, turning once, until golden and little bubbles appear on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes total. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas, wiping out the pan between batches if the butter burns, and adding more butter, as needed.
3) While the quesadillas cook make the salsa: Halve the tomatoes and grate them on the largest holes of a box grater into a bowl, discarding the skins. Grate the onion into the tomato, and stir in the coriander, hot sauce, and salt, to taste.
4) Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges with a pizza wheel or knife and serve with the salsa and avocado.