Neely's BBQ Pork Spare Ribs
Recipe by:Patrick and Gina Neely
- 1 slab pork spare ribs (about 1.8kg)
- 115 g Neely's BBQ Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1L Neely's BBQ Sauce, recipe follows
- For the Neely's BBQ seasoning
- 110g paprika
- 55g white sugar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- For the Neely's BBQ sauce
- 470ml tomato ketchup
- 235ml water
- 85g brown sugar
- 85g white sugar
- 1/2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp dry mustard powder
- 30ml lemon juice
- 30ml Worcestershire sauce
- 120ml apple cider vinegar
- 30ml light golden syrup
- 30g Neely's BBQ Seasoning
1) Place pork rib slab flat on a clean chopping board. Pull off membrane. Cut off the excess fat and meat. Season both sides of the slab with Neely's BBQ seasoning. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
2) Preheat your barbecue at 135 degrees C, using hickory wood and charcoal.
3) Place the slab on the grill away from the flame, using indirect heat. Cook the slab for approximately 2 1/2 hours with the curled side up. Flip the slab over to finish cooking for approximately 1 hour or until you get full "bend" in the slab.
4) For dry ribs: Pull ribs off grill, sprinkle Neely's BBQ seasoning over entire slab. Cut between the bones and serve. For wet ribs: Pull ribs off grill, pour Neely's BBQ Sauce over slab. Cut between the bones and serve.
For Neely's BBQ seasoning:
1) Mix all the ingredients and set aside.
For Neely's BBQ sauce:
1) Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a stockpot or large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Reduce temperature to low and simmer, uncovered, for at least 2 hours. Yields 1 litre.