Spice Rubbed Ribs with Chipotle-Honey Glaze
- For the Rub
- 1/2 cup ancho chilli powder
- 1/4 cup Spanish paprika
- 1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry mustard
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 1/4 cup ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chile de arbol
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 racks country ribs, 12 ribs each, membrane removed
- For the Charcoal briquettes
- Chimney starter and newspaper
- 4 cups hickory or oak wood chips, soaked in cold water for at least 60 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups clover honey
- 3 heaping tablespoons chipotle in adobo puree
- Parsley sprigs, for garnish
- For the Chipotle honey glaze
- Clover honey, to taste
- Chipotle in adobo, pureed, to taste
- Salt and pepper
Combine all spices in a small bowl.
Brush both sides of the racks with oil and liberally rub with the spice mixture. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 12 hours. Remove the ribs from the refrigerator 45 minutes before smoking to allow them to come to room temperature.
Stuff several sheets of newspaper in the bottom of a charcoal chimney. Fill the chimney to the top with charcoal briquettes. Remove top rack from the barbecue. Put the chimney on the lower barbecue rack. Light the newspaper and let the charcoal burn until the ash is gray, about 20 minutes.
Open bottom barbecue vent. Turn out the hot charcoal onto 1 half of bottom rack. Using a metal spatula, spread charcoal to cover approximately 1/3 of rack and scatter half of the soaked wood chips over the charcoal. Put a loaf pan with water onto the coals.
Put the top rack on the barbecue. Put the ribs, rub side down, on the grill over indirect heat. Coals should be off to 1 side. Slowly cook the ribs until tender, adding more charcoal if needed, about 1 1/2 hours.
Chipotle Honey Glaze:
Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl
Begin brushing the glaze on the ribs during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Put the ribs on a baking sheet; brush with a little more of the glaze and let stand 10 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a cutting board and cut between the bones to separate the ribs. Arrange the ribs on a serving platter and serve.