Pineapple Fried Rice
- 1 pineapple
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons diced shallots
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 4 to 6 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups day-old cooked rice
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons black bean chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 2 to 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
1. Cut the pineapple in half lengthwise and cut out the fruit section. Remove the core and cut the fruit into medium dice. Reserve about 1 cup of the pineapple for the fried rice. Reserve the hollowed out halves for serving.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet until a wisp of white smoke appears. Stir in the shallots and garlic and cook until light brown. Add the bacon and cook until slightly crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the ginger and shrimp and cook until the shrimp start to turn pink, about 1 minute.
3. Fold in the rice, making sure not to break the rice grains. Add in the fish sauce, black bean chilli sauce, sugar and curry powder. Continue to cook and stir for about a minute. Stir in the reserved pineapple and incorporate well.
4. Cook the fried rice for about 1 to 2 more minutes, folding constantly and mixing in all the ingredients well. Fold in the white pepper and green onions.
5. Transfer the fried rice into the pineapple halves and garnish with the fresh coriander.