Chive risotto cakes
- 190g uncooked Arborio rice
- 120ml Greek yogurt
- 2 extra large eggs
- 3 tbsp minced fresh chives
- 135g grated Italian fontina cheese
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 45g panko breadcrumbs (Japanese dried bread flakes)
- Good olive oil
2) Meanwhile, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, chives, fontina, 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper in a medium bowl. Add the cooled rice and mix well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, until firm.
3) When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 120°C.
4) Spread the panko in a shallow dish. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Form balls of the rice mixture using a standard ice-cream scoop or a large spoon. Pat the balls into patties 8cm in diameter and 19mm thick. Place 4 to 6 patties in the panko, turning once to coat. Place the patties in the hot oil and cook, turning once, for about 3 minutes on each side until the risotto cakes are crisp and nicely browned. Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and keep warm in the oven for up to 30 minutes. Continue cooking in batches, adding oil as necessary, until all the cakes are fried. Arrange on a serving platter and serve hot.