Risotto carbonara my way
- 115 g unsalted butter, plus 15 - 30 g
- 1/2 small onion, small diced
- 225 g Arborio rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 225 ml white wine
- 2 3/4 L homemade chicken stock, room temperature
- 225 g pancetta, small diced and rendered, reserving fat
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 225 g Parmigiano Reggiano
- 115 g fresh chopped chives
- Sea salt, freshly ground white pepper and black pepper
- 8 quail eggs
- 60 g green pea shoots
- Extra-virgin olive oil
1) In a rondeau or large heavy sauce pot melt butter and sweat onion until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add Arborio rice and bay leaf and sweat until rice is slightly toasted. Add white wine and stir until liquid is absorbed. Begin adding stock slowly in small amounts. As rice absorbs the liquid, continue adding stock, stirring constantly. When rice is al dente and creamy, add pancetta and lemon zest. Incorporate, and then finish with Parmigiano Reggiano, chives, kosher salt, and freshly ground white pepper and 15 - 30 g butter.
2) Place 4 small ring molds into an adequate Teflon pan. Using the rendered fat from the pancetta, fry 2 quail eggs in each ring mold to sunny side up. Season with salt and black pepper. Place risotto onto a large platter or individual serving dishes. Top with the quail eggs. Garnish with pea shoots, dressed with lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.