Roasted Courgette and Red Onion Barley Risotto
- 3 medium courgettes, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Crushed black pepper to taste
- 300g pearl barley
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 410g Carnation® Light Evaporated milk
- 1 litre cold water
- 50g Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C with fan) Gas mark 6. Scatter a lined baking tray with the courgette and red onion and sprinkle with the vegetable oil and the black pepper. Give the vegetables a shake to coat them evenly. Bake until golden and cooked. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, place the pearl barley and stock cube in a large saucepan and cover with 1 litre of cold water. Bring to the boil until all the water has evaporated and the barley is soft and cooked. Remove from the heat.
3. Pour the Carnation® Light Evaporated Milk into the barley, add the crushed garlic clove and Parmesan and stir well. Fold through the roasted vegetables and then return to the hob to heat through.
Recipe courtesy of Carnation®