Jonathan Phang's Jerk Pork
- 1.6kg belly pork, scored and cut into 6-8 rectangular serving portions
- For the Marinade
- Juice of two limes
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Scotch bonnets, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 inch square ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 generous handful of spring onions, the middle green parts only
- 1tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1tsp dried thyme
- 2tsp groundnut or sunflower oil
- 2tbsp ground all spice
- 2tbsp ground mixed spice
- 3tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3tbsp dark rum
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- 1tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 3tbsp guava jam or jelly
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and grind until a wet marinating paste. It should not be completely smooth.
Score the pork skin and place in a baking dish. Smother all over with the marinade. Marinate overnight ideally (but no less than 2 hours) turning several times.
Preheat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan. Place the pork skin side up, cover the baking tray with foil and bake for three hours.Turn up to the oven to 250°C/230°C and remove the foil. Bake for a further half an hour until the meat is caramelised and crispy.
Serve with seasonal Oil Down.