Perfect Roast Turkey
- 1 (5.5kg) fresh turkey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 Spanish onion, quartered
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 60g melted butter
2) Place the turkey in a large roasting tin. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the turkey cavity. Stuff the cavity with the thyme, lemon, onion and the garlic.
3) Brush the outside of the turkey with the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey.
4) Roast the turkey for 2 1/2 hours, basting from time to time with the juices, until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh.
5) Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover with foil; leave it to rest for 20 minutes. Slice the turkey and serve hot.