Roast rib of beef
Roast the perfect rib of beef with baby onions for Sunday lunch.
- 2kg joint of beef
- English mustard
- Black pepper
- 3-4 shallots or onions, peeled
- 50ml wine or water, as required
2) Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Place the joint in the hot oven for 15 minutes, reduce the temperature to 180C/Gas 4 and allow 15 minutes per 500g for rare, plus 20 minutes extra for medium or 30 minutes extra for well done. To be absolutely accurate, use a meat roasting thermometer.
3) When the meat is cooked remove from the oven, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest for 30 minutes. This resting time allows the juices to settle; the meat firms up so it is easier to carve.
4) Spoon off the fat. Add a little wine or water to the juices. Boil over a high heat and taste for seasoning. Serve with the sliced roast. Delicious with crispy roast potatoes, roast vegetables or a creamy vegetable puree.