Beansprout Salad with Chargrilled Asparagus and Coconut
- 100g broad beans podded
- 200g beansprouts
- 200g asparagus tips or spears
- 2-3 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1-2 sprigs curry leaves
- ½ tsp garlic crushed
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 1 -2 green chillies deseeded and finely chopped
- 100g freshly shaved coconut
- 50g fresh pomegranate seeds
- A handful of coriander leaves
- 2 tsp caster sugar, or to taste
- Juice of 2 limes, or to taste
If using frozen broad beans, put them in a bowl, cover with water and leave to soak while you prepare the other ingredients.
If using fresh broad beans, bring the saucepan to the boil and blanch the beans for two-three minutes. Refresh in cold water and slip off the skins.
1. Rinse the beansprouts in cold water. Drop them into boiling water and allow to stand for a minute. Drain thoroughly,then refresh in very cold water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
2. Preheat a griddle pan on a medium high heat. Brush the asparagus with a little oil and place them on a griddle pan in a single layer. ( You may have to work in batches.) cook for two-three minutes turning occasionally, until tender but still crisp and light browned. Set aside.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan until hot. Add the mustard and cumin seeds. Once they begin to pop and splutter add the curry leaves,garlic and ginger. Cook for a minute or so then add the drained broad beans with the chillies.
4. Add some salt with a dash of water to allow the beans to cook until just tender. When all the liquid has been absorbed, remove from the heat and set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, toss together the beansprouts, asparagus, broad bean mixture and the rest of the ingredients. Adjust the seasoning with more salt, sugar or lime juice, to taste.