Cook perfect salmon on a cedar plank to enrich it with woody flavour.
- 4 skinless salmon fillets, about 175g each
- 2 tbsp of Bone Dust BBQ Seasoning (see below)
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 whole lemons
- 40g chopped fresh dill
- 75g chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp Seafood Plank Seasoning (see below)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt
- For the Bone Dust BBQ Seasoning
- 60g paprika
- 30g chilli powder
- 3 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 2 tbsp mild Indian curry powder
- 2 tbsp dry English mustard, e.g Coleman’s
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder
- For the Seafood Plank Seasoning
- 100g light brown sugar
- 50g freshly ground black pepper
- 50g ground sea salt
- 3 tbsp dried onion
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds, ground coarsely
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tbsp dill seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
For each of the seasonings, mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Transfer to tightly sealed containers and store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Season salmon fillets with Bone Dust BBQ Seasoning and set aside. Mix together the garlic, spring onions, the juice of one lemon, dill, shallots, Seafood Plank Seasoning, olive oil and salt to taste. Spread the mixture evenly over the salmon fillets.
Season plank with additional sea salt. Place plank on grill and close lid. Heat the plank for 3 to 5 minutes, until it starts to crackle and smoke.
Open lid and place the salmon fillets on the plank. Close the lid and plank grill for 12 to 15 minutes, until salmon flakes slightly when pressed. Remove plank from grill and cool for 1 minute. Squeeze remaining lemon over salmon fillets before serving.
Copyright Napoleon’s Everyday Gourmet Plank Grilling by Ted Reader (Key Porter Books Ltd 2009) ISBN 978-1-55470-150-6 £34.99 Hardback. 124 recipes each fully illustrated.