Grilled Salmon with Citrus-Fennel Salad and Grilled Escarole
- Four 180g skin-on salmon fillets
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small heads chicory lettuce, halved lengthwise
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 small bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced on a mandolin, plus 1 tablespoon fronds
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 navel orange, peeled, pith removed and cut into segments
1. Preheat a gas grill to medium-high or prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill.
2. Brush both sides of the salmon with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill the salmon, skin-side down, for 3 to 4 minutes with the gill lid closed. Open the grill, flip the salmon and cook and additional 3 to 4 minutes for medium doneness.
3. Meanwhile, brush the endive lettuce with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. On a slightly cooler area of the grill (medium heat) place the lettuce cut-side down, and grill until it begins to char and the leaves have wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, season with a squeeze of lemon juice; reserve.
4. In a bowl, toss the fennel, fennel fronds, onions and orange segments together until combined. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice over the salad; season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
5. To serve, divide the grilled escarole among 4 plates. Lean a salmon filet on the escarole on each plate and top with the citrus-fennel salad.
Recipe courtesy of Katie Lee