Raw Fish Salad (Ho Wan Yue Sang)
An arrangement of veggies and fish, dressed with a plum and sesame dressing.
- 150 g carrot, julienned
- 10 wonton wrappers, each cut into 6 pieces
- 100 g fresh salmon sashimi (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 3 slices lemon
- 30 g candied melon, julienned
- 30 g orange peel, julienned
- Pomelo wedge
- 75 g radish, julienned
- 75 g green radish, julienned
- 150 g pickled ginger, julienned
- 4 drops red food colouring
- 4 drops green food colouring
- 30 g red pepper, julienned
- 4 drops yellow food colouring
- 70 g jellyfish, seasoned and julienned
- 2 tbsp peanuts, chopped
- For the dressing
- 100 g plum sauce
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
Find out more about Makansutra's Raw Fish Salad.
1. Use a fine mandolin to shred the carrot and radish into long strips. Run the vegetables under a cold water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from water and use a salad spinner to remove excess moisture.
2. Divide the ginger strips into 3 equal parts, place in separate container. Add red, green and yellow food colouring into the 3 separate containers. Mix well. Leave ginger to rest in fridge for about 5 mins.
3. Deep fry the wanton wrapper in hot oil till crispy. Drip dry and set aside.
4. Mix the plum sauce with sesame oil. Mix well. Set aside.
5. Arrange julienned carrot and radish in the centre of a large plate.
6. Place the rest of the ingredients around the vegetables at edge of platter and sprinkle 5-spice powder, white pepper, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and you char kway (dough fritter sticks)over the dish.
7. Place salmon sashimi on top of the dish and drizzle over the plum sauce.
Note: if green radish is not available, replace with equal amount of radish and colour it with light green food colouring.