Salmon kebabs with quinoa and grapefruit salad
Serve these salmon skewers with protein-packed quinoa.
- For the quinoa salad
- 1 medium grapefruit
- 8 thin slices fresh ginger
- 60ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 135g quinoa
- 350ml water
- 0.5 tsp salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 small serrano or jalapeno chilli, minced (with seeds for maximum heat)
- 2 spring onions (both white and green parts), minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the salmon
- 680g skinless, centre-cut salmon, cut into 5-cm cubes
- Wooden skewers, soaked
2) Warm the grapefruit peel, ginger and olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. As soon as the oil starts to bubble, after about 2 minutes, remove from heat. Set the oil aside to steep for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve the oil.
3) Meanwhile, rinse the quinoa in a bowl and drain. Put the quinoa in a small saucepan with the water and 0.5 tsp of salt. Boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Set aside off the heat, undisturbed, for 5 minutes. Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Cool.
4) Segment the grapefruit over a bowl, reserving the segments and juice separately. Whisk 3 tbsp of the grapefruit juice with the vinegar, honey and salt to taste in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in 3 tbsp of the reserved grapefruit oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a stream to make a slightly thick dressing. Season with pepper to taste.
5) Toss the quinoa with the dressing, chillies, spring onions and coriander. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
6) Preheat a hob griddle or outdoor barbecue to a high heat. Thread the salmon cubes onto the skewers. Brush with the remaining 1 tbsp of grapefruit oil, and season with salt and pepper.
7) Barbecue the skewers, turning as each side browns but making sure the salmon is still moist, about 3 minutes.
8) Toss the grapefruit segments into the salad, divide among 4 plates, and top with the salmon kebabs. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Copyright 2004 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.