Wild Alaska salmon, carrot and halloumi burgers
Pair succulent salmon with salty halloumi for a sensational burger.
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 (416g) or 2 (213g) tins red or pink wild Alaska salmon
- 500g carrots, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 150g Halloumi cheese, crumbled or finely chopped
- 50g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Burger buns, salad and tomato ketchup, to serve
2) Drain the canned salmon, discarding the liquid. Remove any skin and bones, if wished, then break the salmon into small chunks.
3) Put the carrots into a large mixing bowl and add the onion, breadcrumbs, egg, cheeses and coriander. Season, remembering that cheese is quite salty, so you only need a little salt. Stir in the chunks of salmon.
4) Form the mixture into 6 burgers and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20–25 minutes, until golden brown. Serve in burger buns with salad and tomato ketchup on the side.
Cook's tip: For a lighter option, wrap and serve the burgers in crisp lettuce leaves or Chinese leaves instead of serving them in burger buns.