All-American Down-Home Patriotic Meatloaf Sandwich
- For the Meatloaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup coarsely crushed soda crackers, such as Nabisco Saltine Crackers (about 24 crackers)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 large eggs
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 8 ounces ground veal
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- For the Sandwich Build
- 4 slices sharp Cheddar
- 4 potato rolls, buttered and toasted
- Bread and butter pickles (3 to 5 per sandwich)
- 1 can crispy onions, such as French's French Fried Onions
Serves: 4 sandwiches, plus lots of extra meatloaf
For the meatloaf: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onions, season with some salt and saute until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes without letting the garlic brown. Remove from the heat and let cool.
In a large bowl, add the crackers, milk, mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce and eggs. Whisk together, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the meat, parsley and cooled onions. Mix with your hands until evenly combined. Bake a tester meatloaf patty to taste and test the seasoning, adjusting as necessary. Using your hands, gently form the meatloaf into a loaf about 9-by-5-inches. Place on a baking sheet.
For the glaze: In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Slather half of the glaze over the meatloaf. Make sure not to touch the meatloaf with the spoon and then put that spoon back into the glaze; don't cross contaminate, people! Bake until the meat registers 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer, about 1 hour. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing for sandwiches.
For the sandwich build: Place a slice of cheese on the bottom griddled bun, then a slice of meatloaf, spoon some extra glaze on the loaf, pop on a few pickles and top with crispy onions. Repeat to make 3 more sandwiches.