Grilled Tomato and Cheese
- 1 large or 2 medium heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes
- Eight 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick slices Pullman bread
- 12 slices sharp Cheddar or American cheese
- 6 tablespoons cultured butter, softened
1. Thinly slice the tomatoes and lay them on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and let sit to release any water, about 15 minutes. Pat dry.
2. Lay out 4 slices of the bread on a work surface. Layer each with 2 slices of cheese, making sure that they cover to the edges. Follow with 2 slices of tomato and then 1 more slice of cheese. Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread. Thinly and evenly spread the butter on both sides of the bread using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter for each sandwich.
3. Place 2 sandwiches into a nonstick medium frying pan over medium heat. Cover the frying pan with a lid and cook until the bread is evenly golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip, cover again and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is visibly melted, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.