Smoked salmon tea sandwiches
Ina Garten offers up traditional English sandwiches for an afternoon party.
- For the herb butter
- 1.25kg unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 1/4 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp spring onions (white and green parts), finely chopped
- 5 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- For the sandwiches
- 1 large wholemeal loaf
- 8 slices smoked salmon
2) For the sandwiches, slice the bread lengthwise into 6mm thick slices, or if this is not possible slice it diagonally.
3) Butter 40 slices of bread with a thin layer of herb butter. Place the smoked salmon on 20 of the slices and top with the other 20 slices.
4) Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet, wrap with clingfilm and refrigerate until the butter is very cold.
5) Place the sandwiches on a cutting board and with a very sharp knife, cut off the crusts. Cut each sandwich into 4 diagonally and serve chilled.