Soppressata and Provolone Grilled Cheese
- 16 slices spicy or plain soppressata (about 2 ounces), diced
- 12 slices provolone (about 6 ounces), diced
- Eight 1/4-inch-thick slices semolina bread
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fig jam or mostarda, for serving
Mix together the soppressata and cheese in a medium bowl. Lay out 4 slices of the bread on a work surface and divide the meat and cheese mixture evenly among the bread, about 1/3 cup each. Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread. Thinly and evenly spread the butter on both sides of the bread using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter for each sandwich.
Place 2 sandwiches into a medium frying pan over medium heat. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the bread is evenly golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip, cover again and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is visibly melted, about 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Serve with fig jam on the side.