Herby Vietnamese Dipping Sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 100ml water
- 2 ½ tablespoons fish sauce (preferably Vietnamese)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1-2 small Thai chillies, thinly sliced
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Handful of Vietnamese hot mint leaves, finely chopped
Serves: Makes 225ml
1. Mix the lime juice, sugar and water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Taste and adjust the flavours if necessary to balance out the sweet and sour. Finish with the fish sauce and add the garlic and chillies.
2. Taste again and adjust the flavours to your liking, balancing out the sour, sweet, salty and spicy.
3. Cover with cling film and set aside at room temperature for up to 24 hours until needed.
4. Just before serving mix in the coriander and mint.