Spinach and Paneer Turnovers with Mango Basil Chutney
- For the Spinach And Paneer Turnovers
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cups plain flour
- A pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 pound spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup homemade paneer or feta cheese
- For the Mango Basil Chutney
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon Five-Spice Blend, recipe follows
- 1 small red chilli, minced
- 1 mango, peeled and pit removed
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- A pinch salt
- A pinch sugar
- For the Five-spice Blend
- 2 teaspoons mixed peppercorns
- 8 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Serves: 18 turnovers
For the turnovers: Preheat the oven to 175°C. Put the cumin seeds into a small skillet over medium heat and toast them until they are aromatic, about 30 seconds. Put into a bowl along with the flour and salt and stir to combine. Add 3 tablespoons oil and 1/4 cup water and begin kneading, adding a little more water if there is excess flour and it seems too dry. Continue to knead the dough until it is smooth and soft. Cover loosely with a towel and set aside.
Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until soft and golden, about 3 minutes. Add the fenugreek seeds and garam masala and continue to stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the spinach and season with salt. Stir until the spinach has wilted, and then transfer into a large bowl. Let cool, and then crumble the paneer into it. Stir gently to combine.
Cut the dough into 6 pieces and roll each one out into a very thin circle, like a tortilla. Cut into 3 even strips and brush the edges with a bit of water. Place a tablespoon of filling in the center of each strip. Fold the dough over the filling and then seal tightly.
Place the turnovers onto a lightly oiled or nonstick baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, for the chutney: Put the basil, ginger, vinegar, cardamom, Five-Spice Blend, chili, mango, lime juice, salt and sugar in a blender and pulse until smooth.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until serving. Serve the turnovers with the mango and basil chutney.