Pappardelle with scallops
- 500g large sea scallops, patted dry
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 500g pappardelle pasta
- 15ml olive oil
- 7g unsalted butter
- 300g mixed chanterelle, oyster, trumpet mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, plus more for serving
- 30ml white truffle oil
- 450g rocket
- 60g best quality Parmesan cheese, shaved
2) Bring a large pan of water to the boil over a medium heat and add the remaining tsp of salt. Put the pasta to cook in the boiling water, around 8 minutes. If the pasta is done before all the other ingredients are ready, add 750ml of cold water to the pan to arrest further cooking.
3) Meanwhile, heat the olive oil and butter over a medium-high heat in a large frying pan. When the butter has melted, add the scallops, cook for 1 to 2 minutes and then turn over. When the scallops are just cooked, remove them from the heat and set aside, keeping them warm.
4) Let the juices in the pan reduce for 1 minute, then add the mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic, red chilli flakes and 1/2 tsp of black pepper. Toss to combine and then add the reserved scallops and 1 tbsp of the truffle oil.
5) Drain the cooked pasta and add to the frying pan, then add the rocket and gently toss or stir to combine. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with the remaining truffle oil, the shaved cheese and more freshly ground black pepper.