Curried Calamari with Coriander and Mint Chutney
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- A pinch of salt, plus more for sprinkling
- A pinch of pepper
- 3 large squid bodies, cleaned
- 1/4 cup rapeseed oil
- Coriander and Mint Chutney, recipe follows
- For the Coriander and Mint Chutney
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 1 cup chopped mint
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Put the flour, coriander, fenugreek leaves, ground fenugreek, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper into a medium bowl and mix well.
Dry the squid with a paper towel and then cut the bodies crosswise into 1/4-inch rings. Put the rings into the flour mixture and coat them well. Heat the oil in a large skillet and fry the coated squid until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Do not overcook them as they will become tough and rubbery.
Drain on a paper towel-lined tray and sprinkle with some salt.
Blend the ingredients for the chutney together and serve with the calamari.