Green Papaya Salad with Seared Scallops
- For the Salad
- Half a green papaya, peeled and julienned
- 1 ripe papaya, peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 4 Thai shallots, thinly sliced
- 100g beansprouts
- 1 large red chilli, sliced into strips
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 small handful chopped coriander
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 handful mint, chopped
- For the dressing
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tsp tamarind paste or tamarind concentrate
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 tsp grated palm sugar
- For the Scallops
- Vegetable oil for searing
- 12 large scallops
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- Small handful dried anchovies
1. In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the salad and set aside.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside.
3. Heat a frying pan with just enough oil to cover the frying pan. Heat until it is really hot and smoking. Cook the scallops quickly (approx 15 seconds each side) until seared.
4. Remove the scallops from the pan.
5. In the same pan add 1 tbsp oil and fry the dried anchovies until crispy.
6. Drain the anchovies on kitchen paper.
7. To assemble, add the dressing to the salad. Divide onto four dishes.
8. Place three scallops on each dish and sprinkle with fried anchovies. Serve immediately.