- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and finely ground black pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- One 28-ounce can whole tomatoes in juice, pureed in a blender
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Crusty bread, for serving
Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat until hot. Add the garlic, onions, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in the wine, pepper flakes and thyme, and boil until reduced by half, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the pureed tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Add the mussels and cover the pot. Cook until the mussels have opened wide, about 6 minutes. Discard any that didn't open. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer to serving bowls and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve with crusty bread.