Steamed Vietnamese Mussels in Chicken Stock and Vietnamese Spices
- 4kg mussels
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 bashed lemongrass stalks
- 12 lime leaves
- 3 large red chillies
- 15 Thai shallots, roughly chopped
- 4-6 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 pints chicken stock
- 4 spring onions, finely diced on a diagonal
- 3 tbsp palm sugar
- 50g galangal, julienned
- Vietnamese coriander
- Hot mint
- Saw tooth coriander
- Sweet basil
1. Heat oil in a wok and add shallots and lemongrass to release their.
2. Next add the lime leaves and galangal, plus the palm sugar for a caramel sweetness.
3. Then add some stock and simply bring the stock to the boil and add the mussels.
4. Give it a good stir so the flavours are dispersed.
5. Allow the mussels to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until they open. Don’t use the ones that don’t open.
6. Then finely chop some sweet basil and Vietnamese coriander and scatter and stir gently into the mussels and sprinkle with spring onions and crusty bread.