Tiger Prawn Yum with Lemongrass
- For the Prawn Marinade
- 12 large tiger prawns peeled and deveined
- 1 lemongrass stem, finely chopped
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 bird's eye chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp white peppercorns, freshly crushed
- 165ml creamed coconut
- For the Yum Salad
- 5 tbsp fish sauce
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 2 lemongrass stems, outer leaves removed retaining the young white part; sliced into very thin rounds
- 4 red shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 inch young ginger, peeled and cut into thin juliennes
- 2 red bird's eye chillies, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp lime juice
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 small bunch coriander, finely chopped (reserve a few sprigs of coriander for garnish)
- 1 small bunch mint leaves
- 1 small bunch sweet basil
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves, finely julienned
- 1 red finger chilli, deseeded and cut into very thin strips
- 2 tbsp sticky rice, roasted and ground
- Lime wedges to serve
For the Prawn Marinade:
1. In a pestle and mortar take the lemongrass, Kaffir lime leaves, bird's eye chilli, white peppercorns and the garlic. Grind to a paste before adding the cream of coconut.
2. Mix well to incorporate all the flavours, transfer to a large mixing bowl and add the prawns before leaving to marinate for a good half an hour.
3. Cook the prawns on a hot griddle or frying pan for about 3 minutes on each side.
For the Salad and Dressing:
1. In the meantime, pour the fish sauce and sugar into a small saucepan and heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in the lime juice and set aside.
2. Heat a large wok or frying pan and add the lemongrass, shallots, ginger and bird's eye chillies. Sauté for a couple of minutes and then add the marinated prawns.
3. Pour over the fish sauce mixture, lime juice and combine thoroughly.
4. Now add the spring onions, coriander, mint leaves, basil leaves and julienned Kaffir lime leaves and mix well.
5. Spoon onto plates and garnish with the reserved coriander sprigs, chilli strips and a sprinkling of the ground sticky rice. Serve with lime wedges.