Sausage, White Bean and Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces hot sausages, removed from casings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium rib celery, chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- One 15-ounce can white beans, such as cannellini or navy, rinsed and drained
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- One 8- to 9-ounce package of your favorite refrigerated tortellini
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking the meat up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onions and celery and continue to cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes, broth and 4 cups water and increase the heat to medium-high to bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer, adjusting the heat if necessary, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the tortellini and continue to cook until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in bowls topped with a spoonful of pesto and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.