Brussels sprouts with maple candied pecans
- 1.4kg baby Brussels sprouts
- 240g pecan halves
- 200g maple sugar
- Ground nut or vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 450g unsalted butter
- 240ml chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
2) Soak the pecans in boiling water, then remove and dredge in maple sugar. Reserve the maple sugar for later.
3) Preheat a deep-fryer or heat 8cm of oil in a large Dutch oven or casserole until it reaches 180C. When the oil is hot, add the pecans and deep-fry for about 1 minute. Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen towels. Immediately sprinkle with the reserved maple sugar.
4) Melt the butter in a saucepan large enough to hold all the Brussels sprouts (you may need to do this in batches). Let the butter brown, then add the sprouts and saute in browned butter until tender. Add the candied pecans. Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve warm.