Italian roast beef
- 120g salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 70g granulated garlic
- 35g granulated onion
- 70g dried basil
- 70g dried oregano
- 2.25kg to 3.25kg topside beef roast
- 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
2) Trim all the fat from beef round. I grind the trimmings, but you can cut them up into bite-size pieces and place on the bottom of a roasting pan. Sprinkle the trimmings with some of the seasoning mix.
3) Place the roast beef on top of the trimmings and coat the beef well with more of the seasoning mix. Drizzle olive oil on top of the roast and pat the oil over the seasonings.
4) Place into the preheated oven on the lowest rack and roast approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours, uncovered, until the internal temperature registers *60C on an instant-read thermometer.
5) Remove the roast from the oven and let it stand for about 20 to 30 minutes before carving. This roast can be used for sandwiches, thinly cut or thickly cut and served with beef gravy, if desired.
*Cook's note: 1 1/2 to 2 hours (rare) 65C for medium, 70C for well done.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore we cannot make any representation as to the results.