Slow-Cooker Mashed Potato
- 5 pounds medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups milk, warm
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives
Toss the potatoes, butter, 1 tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add 1 cup of water, then cover and cook on high until the potatoes are tender, about 4 hours. (The potatoes might have browned lightly in spots but that is okay.)
Remove the lid and add the sour cream and 1 1/2 cups warm milk to the potatoes. Use a potato masher to smash the potatoes until they are mostly smooth. If the potatoes need to be thinned out, stir in the remaining 1/2 cup warm milk. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Garnish with chives.
Copyright 2014 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.