Strawberry Pimm's Trifle
- 1 (450g) punnet of strawberries
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 sprig of mint
- 1 bottle of Pimm's
- 250ml double cream
- 125g mascarpone
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1 packet of sponge fingers or 1 madeira cake loaf
2) Slowly poach the strawberries so that they let out their juice; you don't want to mash them. Stir carefully to coat all the fruit in the juice and Pimm's mixture. Simmer gently to allow the fruit/ liquid mixture to reduce slightly, then take off the heat and drain the juices into a jug. To this jug, add another tbsp of Pimm's and stir.
3) In the mean time, beat the double cream until it forms soft peaks, then add 2 tbsp of Pimm's and beat in the mascarpone. When the mix is combined, warm the strawberry jam in the microwave for 30 secs, then fold in 3 tbsp of jam so you get a ripple effect
4) Start to put the trifle together by layering a glass dish or individual glasses with sponge fingers. If you're using madeira cake, cut 1cm thick slices. When the bottom of the dish is lined, drizzle the Pimm's/strawberry juice mixture to soak the sponge. Spoon over a layer of strawberries (to add interesting texture, you could slice some extra strawberries and add in at this point).
5) Spread a layer of the mascarpone/ cream mixture. Repeat with another sponge layer and so on until you reach the top of the bowl. The last layer should be a layer of cream/mascarpone.
6) To finish, take the rest of the strawberries and slice thinly. Carefully layer these over the top of the trifle to cover the entire top. Warm through a tablespoon of jam, then brush this on the top. Put the container in the fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.