Mixed Seafood Congee
A delicious dish using leftover Jasmine rice, ginger and all kinds of seafood.
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 240ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1cm piece ginger root, peeled and grated
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 mussels, cleaned and beards removed
- 115g squid, bodies cut into rings
- 4 king prawns, peeled and de-veined
- 8 little neck clams, cleaned
- 400g cooked Jasmine rice
- 700 - 950ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 pinches of freshly ground white pepper
- 3 baby bok choy, cut in half through stem and sliced, separating stems and leaves
- One 230g can bamboo shoots
- 1 handful coriander, stems chopped and leaves for garnish
In a small bowl, soak the dried mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes, drain and reserve the soaking liquid. Remove and discard the stems, dice the caps and set aside.
Heat a wok or pan over high heat and the vegetable oil. Once smoking add the ginger, shallots and diced mushrooms and stir for few seconds. Add in all of the seafood and stir-fry until the shrimp tails begin to turn pink, about two minutes. Toss in the cooked rice. Then add the reserved mushroom soaking liquid and vegetable stock and bring to boil. Season the mixture with the Shaohsing rice wine, light soy sauce, salt, and ground white pepper. Add the bok choy stems, bamboo shoots and cilantro stems and cook for one minute before adding leaves. Simmer until seafood is cooked and clam and mussel shells have opened. Discard any unopened clams or mussels. Serve immediately garnished with cilantro leaves.