Oyster Sauce Chicken with Bok Choy
A delicious and healthy chicken stir-fry that cooks in less than ten minutes.
- For the Chicken
- 6 boneless and skinless chicken thighs, cut into 5cm cubes
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- For the Sauce
- 120ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 heaped tsp Guilin chilli sauce
- For the Stir Fry
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced into coins
- 1 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 baby bok choy, white parts cut into 2.5cm pieces leaving green parts whole
- 2 large spring onions, thinly sliced
For the chicken: In a large bowl, sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the cornstarch and toss to coat.
For the sauce: In another smaller bowl, combine the stock, cornstarch, oyster sauce, soy sauce and chili sauce. Mix well and set aside.
For the stir-fry: Heat a wok over high heat and, when the wok starts to smoke, add the peanutke oil. Add the ginger and stir-fry for a few seconds. Then add the chicn, let settle for one minute, and then stir-fry for three minutes more. As the chicken starts to turn opaque, add the rice wine and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Stir in the reserved sauce and bring to a boil. Add the mushrooms and bok choy stalks and cook for one minute. Then stir in the bok choy leaves and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat and stir in half the scallions. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with the remaining scallions and serve immediately.