Salt and Pepper Tiger Prawns
If you like spice you will love these refreshing hot and sour prawns.
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 jumbo prawns, trim tip of the head and legs (optional)
- 350g cornflour or potato starch
- 500ml vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp finely diced red Asian shallot
- 1 tbsp finely diced garlic
- 2 chillies, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced into 4cm pieces
- 1 lime, quartered
2) In a deep fry pan or wok, bring the oil to 180C. Dust the prawns with flour and fry 2 prawns at a time to keep the oil at a constant high heat. Remove the prawns and place on kitchen paper to absorb the oil. Repeat with the remaining prawns.
3) Bring a frying pan to a medium heat, add the oil, red shallots, garlic, chilli and spring onion and cook until fragrant. Now add the prawns, tossing as you sprinkle the salt, pepper and five spice mix, making sure you coat the prawns well.
4) Remove the prawns and serve with the lime.