Sesame Chilli Vermicelli
This spicy, crunchy angel hair pasta makes for a sizzling comfort meal.
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 2 green chillies (or to taste), sliced finely
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsps sesame seeds
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 130g vermicelli noodles
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 30g peas
- Handful cauliflower florets, broken
- Salt to taste
2) Blanch the vegetables in a pan of salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
3) Cook the vermicelli noodles for 2 minutes less than the cooking time stated on the packet. They should be al dente. Drain and set aside.
4) In a large non-stick pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and wait for them to crackle. Add the asafoetida (if using), garlic, vegetables, turmeric, chillies, chilli flakes and sesame seeds. Saute for a minute.
5) Using a fork, gently separate the cooked vermicelli, talking care not to break it up too much. Add the cooked pasta to the vegetable mixture and toss until fully incorporated. Season with salt to taste.
Garnish with carrot ribbons, sesame seeds, chilli flakes and a whole green chilli (optional).