Stir-Fried Chicken with Cashews
Full of crunchy cashews, this juicy chicken dish makes for a great light dinner.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 560g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 20g chopped spring onion bottoms, plus 2 tablespoons thinly sliced spring onion tops
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 200g mange tout, ends and threads removed
- 1 large red pepper, stemmed, seeded, and julienned
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and cut on a bias
- 125ml chicken stock
- 60ml hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 nests cellophane rice noodles
- 60g roasted cashews
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a wok or a large saute pan over high heat. Dust the chicken with cornflour. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, and cook until it just turns opaque, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the green onion bottoms, garlic, and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mange tout, red pepper, onion, celery, and cook until just tender, about 1 minute.
Add the chicken stock, hoisin, and soy sauce to the wok. Stir to combine. Move the contents of the wok to the side to reveal a well. Submerge the cellophane noodles into the liquid. Cover the noodles with the chicken and vegetables and cook 1 minute longer.
Remove the chicken from the heat. Add the spring onion tops, roasted cashews, and toss to combine all the ingredients. Season the mixture with salt, and pepper, to taste, and serve immediately.