Vegetable Lettuce Wraps ('Sin Cai Bao')
Butter lettuce and roasted peanuts give crunch to this dish.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, peeled and freshly grated
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 (230g) can bamboo shoots, drained and finely diced
- 230g fresh asparagus, blanched and thinly sliced
- 9 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 heads butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 medium red Fresno chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, green part only, finely chopped
- 1 small handful coriander
- 3 small Mandarin oranges, Clementine oranges, or tangerines, segmented
- 30g roasted peanuts, finely chopped or ground
Heat a wok over high heat and add the oil. Stir-fry the garlic and ginger for less than one minute until fragrant. Add the diced carrot and stir-fry for two minutes or until tender. Toss in the bamboo shoots, asparagus, and mushrooms and stir-fry for another minute or two. Season with soy sauce, vegetarian oyster sauce, and sesame oil and stir well.
Arrange the butter lettuce leaves on a plate and divide the mixture among the leaves. Garnish each with a sprinkle of chopped chilis, green onion, cilantro, Mandarin oranges and chopped roasted peanuts and serve.120ml canned Mandarin orange segments could be used in place of the three segmented oranges.