Pearl Barley and Walnut Stuffing
- 75g pearl barley, rinsed
- 450ml good, hot vegetable stock
- 15g butter, melted
- ½ small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small celery stick, finely chopped
- 30ml freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley or rosemary
- 50g walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
Cook the pearl barley in a large saucepan with stock for 45-50 minutes, or until soft. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
Heat the butter in a large non-stick pan and cook the onion and celery for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and slightly coloured.
Add the remaining stuffing ingredients to the pan and mix well.
Using the stuffing in a rolled shoulder of lamb or crown roast.
Tip: Alternatively, transfer the stuffing mixture to a large rectangular ovenproof dish and bake for 20 minutes at Gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F and serve as an accompaniment with roast beef or lamb.