Sausage and apple stuffing
- 240g plus 45g butter, divided
- 475ml water
- 2 large bags of dried cornbread stuffing mix
- 450g pork sausagemeat
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp dried sage leaves
- 140g chopped walnuts
- 3 medium apples, cored and sliced
- Homemade giblet stock or tin reduced salt chicken stock, optional
2) In a large saute pan set over a medium-high heat, melt 15g of the butter and add the sausagemeat. With a wooden spoon break up the sausagemeat and saute until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer the sausagemeat to a kitchen towel to drain.
3) In the same pan, melt the remaining butter and saute the onion with the garlic, celery, thyme and sage until the onion is translucent and the celery is crisp tender. Add the walnuts and saute for one minute. Add the apples and saute for one minute more. Remove from the heat.
4) Combine the cornbread stuffing with the sauted ingredients and use to stuff the turkey. Roast the turkey as usual.
5) Alternatively, fill a 25 by 38 by 5cm pan with the stuffing, moisten with a little giblet stock, and bake in a preheated 180C/Gas Mark 4 oven, covered with foil for 1/2 hour. Remove the foil and bake until the top is lightly browned, about 15 minutes more.