Raffy's Turkey Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing
- 1 medium green apple, cored and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red apple, cored and diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons cubed
- 60ml dry white wine
- 1 bag dried cranberries
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 450g sweet Italian turkey sausage, meat removed from casing
- 225g jar steamed whole chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 225g day-old cornbread or bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 240ml canned chicken stock
- 200g freshly grated Parmesan
2) Add the wine, cranberries, and salt and pepper and simmer for about five minutes. Take off the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
3) Put the remaining olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat and add the turkey sausage meat. Break up with a wooden spoon and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 8-10 minutes.
4) In a medium bowl toss together the fruit and onion mixture, the sausage, the chestnuts, the cornbread and chilli flakes. Combine all the ingredients.
5) Add the chicken stock and 75g of the Parmesan. Gently place into a 21.5cm square glass Pyrex baking dish and top with the remaining Parmesan. Dot with the cubed butter.
6) Place the baking dish in the oven on the middle rack and bake until the top is golden brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour.