Sprouts with bacon and chestnuts
These spectacular sprouts can be served as a side dish or a simple salad.
- 1kg small, very fresh sprouts
- 100g diced pancetta
- 225g vacuum packed chestnuts
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
2) Heat a large pan of salted water to boiling point and cook the sprouts for 2–3 minutes from the point the water returns to the boil. They should be bright green and still very slightly crisp.
3) Drain well, then place into a bowl of iced water for up to two hours before needed.
4) In a wok or frying pan fry the pancetta until crisp, add the slightly broken chestnuts and cook for 1–2 minutes, then remove from the pan and set aside.
5) Add the very well drained sprouts to the heated wok and stir fry for 2–3 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Return the chestnuts and bacon to the pan stir well and then serve.